Directions Reservations Contact Us Details Breakfast Bedrooms BACK TO HOME


HISTORY

Edward Adams House was built in 1890 by Magnus Ek, an immigrant from Sweden who was a master craftsman and millwright. He came to Silverton, entering into the steam sawmill business with Matthew Johnson. They manufactured lumber and general building supplies. Magnus married Emma Johnson, the daughter of Matthew Johnson. He eventually sold his interest in the lumber mill to overhaul Fisher Flouring Mills in Silverton and Corvallis.

Edward Adams and Sara Jane grew up across the street from one another in Portsmouth, Ohio. Edward owned and operated a successful shoe manufacturing business in Portsmouth. They married in 1890. In 1905 they visited Edward's brothers, Martin and Louis, in Silverton. Martin was an established banker; Louis was a lawyer and served in Oregon politics. They moved to Silverton later the same year. Edward joined his brother, Martin, at Coolidge-McClaine Bank and later was an officer at First National Bank in Silverton.

Edward and Sara Jane purchased Silverton's first greenhouses and operated them into their 70's. The couple was well-respected in the community and spent the rest of their lives in Silverton.



Directions Reservations Contact Us Details Breakfast Bedrooms BACK TO HOME